Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Battery Charging Adventures

image source: West Marine

 

 

WEST MARINE–Group 31 Dual-Purpose AGM Battery, 105 Amp Hours  

I've been slowly trying to nurse the main starting battery back to health over the last few days. 
 
I've had the charger disconnected since I installed the microwave in the galley last May. 
 
I was going to run the engine this past weekend - and discovered the battery was only showing 10.5+ volts. 
 
The first few days - I kept the charger on for 4-6 hours. But each time, immediately afterwards - the battery failed to hold a charge.
 
Tonight, after disconnecting - it still showed 12.3 volts. 
 
I am hopeful. But, we'll see how it looks in the morning. 
 
These are AGM batteries - and were purchased in July 2013 (paid $259.99 each). AGM batteries are very robust - usually good for 3-5 years, or 6-8 years if properly maintained. 
 
I have two on the house side, and one for starting. 
 
They are rated for 300 cycles ("Recharging cycles are the number of times a fully charged battery can be discharged to 10.5 volts at 80 degrees F. then then fully recharged an hold the charge.")
 
These are the same type of batteries I had in my previous boat. 
 
I spend quite a bit more for this quality of battery - but they are rock-solid reliable - and I think much safer. I sleep much better having them aboard. 
 
Once I get this sorted - I plan to add solar panels to keep the batteries charged.  


Battery Articles

No comments:

Post a Comment