Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Waiting For The Rain - Preparations Completed

 

Photo by Max on Unsplash
https://unsplash.com/photos/22x7fxFpl_8
 
 

Rain is forecast for the next 48+ hours - with some high winds, and cooler temperatures.

Normally I would just batten down the hatches, plug-in the small space heater, and make a hot cup of coffee.

In the past, weathering such events on the boat, over a multi-day period - would put me at risk of catching a cold - as I would periodically have to walk to the main marina building for the showers and the bathroom.

But these days - a cold, a sniffle, a cough - are high risk stakes on which to gamble your health - and, will subject you to banishment from almost every establishment / service venue (including the main marina building!!!).

So, I've decamped for the next three days to the harbor's nearby Holiday Inn Express - and will enjoy some finer accommodations, a luxurious bed, and a comfortable desk and chair.

I secured a new tarp to the deck, using six of my new 36 inch Velcro straps. Will have to go back and spot check it tomorrow and Thursday. The winds are forecast to be sustained at 30+ mph for a period here along the coast - with gust likely much higher. 
 
I suspect the Velcro will fail - but perhaps not. 
 
We'll see. 
 
My previous ad hoc use of misc. lines to secure the previous tarp were sufficient - but did not lend themselves to easy installation/removal. Tonight's install was a breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment