Tuesday, July 30, 2019

CAL 2-46 - Hideous Floating Boxcar



CAL 2-46 photo
(image source: SailboatData.com)

You must understand something.

  1. I love boats. 
  2. "beauty is in the eye of the beholder
  3. Therefore, I may not be quite rational in my views regarding this particular boat

I have found beauty in all manner of boats. Sailboats. Powerboats. Short boats. Long Boats. Narrow boats. Skinny boats. Plump and wide boats. Wooden boats. Steel boats. Fiberglass boats. Ships. Trawlers. Day Sailors. Dinghies. Even, Tugboats.

But, there is one boat that I have never been able to muster even the slightest admiration for...
Each and every one that I have ever seen elicits only one visceral reaction: It is a hideous monstrosity...

If given one for free - i would sell it immediately. And, if  all paths to unload it were for naught - then I think that I might very well seek to burn and sink it - or, at least consign it to a landfill.

 I don't know if I have ever found a sailboat that was more ugly, and ungainly, than the blighted CAL 2-46.

It makes me think that the designer had a fond fetish fantasy of sailing a train boxcar (or, perhaps a shipping container) - and the very concept of elegance completely escaped him...

 Reviews
  

Examples:
CAL 2-46 drawing
(image source: SailboatData.com)

1 comment:

  1. Cal Cruising 46 is said to be Bill Lapworth's favourite design. A lovely travelling machine to my eye, with a great layout. Can move along in a breeze by all accounts. 2/46 and 3/46 more conventional in layout.

    ReplyDelete