Friday, June 28, 2019

Sometimes Life Gives You A [***REDACTED***] Marina Neighbor

Just watched a 34 ft. Columbia sailboat (my port-side dock neighbor) - with an electric engine conversion - careening wildly in the channel behind my boat - as they still can't seem to quite figure out basic seamanship skills.

Later, the belt on the drive jumped - they lost propulsion - and were last seen careening into boats near the ramp going up to the parking lot.  


Why haven't they done sufficient testing while still tied to their slip? Why subject the rest of the marina to the terror of their slap-dash maneuvering skills?

This is probably the 3rd or 4th time they've demonstrated their "Gilligan-esque" boating skills for the marina community.

Why don't they have a Boat Hook on board? 


They should seriously consider investing in a  BoatUS Unlimited Gold Towing Membership ($159 year)

"Wrong-Way" would be a good name for their boat - or perhaps after their next accident investigation - perhaps "Ramming Speed!"

This is a couple, two millennial's - who are the most self-centered, obnoxious, bro-culture [***REDACTED***] I've ever encountered in the sailing community.

They leave the dock cart on the finger of their slip after they are finished using it (instead of returning it to the ramp area, where they are supposed to be left). I've yet to thank them properly for that near misadventure I had at 2am one night, in the dark of a moonless night, nearly falling over the cart they were too lazy to return.

They regularly unload things into the middle of the main dock thorough-fare (NOT in their slip finger) - obstructing everyone's access.

They've left so much crap floating around their boat - that the marina recently threatened to evict and fine them if they didn't immediately correct the situation (note: They live about 10 hours away, by car)

They have hooked up two water hoses to both spigots - even when I've told them one of those is supposed to be for my slip.

They leave their Alexa speaker on deck, playing loud radio channels.

I usually avoid giving them any suggestions or helpful advice - but one day they were really screwing something up winding their jib's roller furling - and the look they gave me when I tried to be helpful was: "You don't know anything".

My starboard neighbor - a crotchety old guy - with a pristine power boat (must be at least $350K) - just said he would use dynamite to "blow the shit out of their boat" if they come careening toward his boat. He takes "Get Off My Lawn!" to a whole new level. Ha ha.

At least I like him  - he maintains his vessel, cleans-up after himself. Knows how to safely operate and maneuver his vessel. Is considerate of his neighbors. And he spends almost every weekend maintaining his engines.


But some days...I find yet another aspect of his personality that I like, even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment