Thursday, May 31, 2018

Building Momentum...

I've taken this whole week off - it is the first glorious long break from work I've had - that didn't entail obligations of travel for family - since 2013. Today, walking along the dock, in the sunshine - was the first moment that I truly felt 'on vacation' - I felt transported back to that 5 month sabbatical I took in Mazatlan, Mexico - back in 2007. I felt relaxed, soothed by the heat of the noonday sun - knowing my place in the universe - and feeling comfortable with my achievements as well as my failures.

This afternoon I went back and did another inspection of the mast - taking careful measurements, tracing wiring, and resolving a stuck machine screw on the main sail track.

Later, I enjoyed my usual mocha latte at the nearby Coffee Bean, as I reviewed several chapters in Nigel Calder's excellent tome, "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual, Third Edition" - reading-up on the sections on electrical wiring; and masts and rigging.

Tomorrow, at 10am, I'm dropping the main and jib off at the sail loft to have some repair/stitching done (a project that I've been putting off for six years...)

Tonight, I'll work on capturing the knowledge I've gained about the mast wiring - into a diagram to add to the ship's documentation.

Movement. Momentum. Each step, an Investment in preparing the boat for long-term voyaging again.
It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment