Tuesday, February 21, 2023

2023-02-21 Winter Gale - Tales from C-Dock

6pm...

The winds have begun to arrive along the coast...

 



 

7:30pm...

Well, this will put a dent in my deck cleaning plans for this week...

 
 
 

 9pm...

Heard a massive flapping sound in the marina...took my headlamp and went out to check on the boats on my dock...
 
One boat...with a tarp over the boom...in anticipation of the coming rain...shredded by the 30+ knots of wind...
 
Another boat...with a jib on a roller-furling - that was starting to unfurl...at risk of shredding the jib...or possibly taking the mast down. Two other fellows already trying to secure the jib.....I tried to help...but there wasn't much I could do...the lines are tangled...and the job roller-furling cannot be rotated...and the biting cold was more than I could bear in my t-shirt and shorts...plus it isn't safe to be out on the docks right now...as flying debris from other boats could do some serious damage to you (like the paddle board that went airborne on Thanksgiving day in 2021...and crashed into my deck...)

 
11pm...
 
my 2nd foray onto the docks tonight...another significant sound of a flogging sail...caught my attention...
 
Just down the dock...the thick stainless steel connector of the forestay to the bow - of a roller-furling jib snapped clean in-two...
 
The owner of the boat was valiantly struggling to regain control of the flailing forestay...with a flailing jib unraveling in 30+ knots of wind...but it appeared he had no plan...and he was in imminent danger of either a) his mast crashing down and killing him; or b) the roller-furling bits bludgeoning him to death. 
 
I retrieved a heavy-duty spare dock line from my dock box - and helped him secure the flailing bits to the anchor roller...and then further secured to the anchor windlass.
 
For the moment - his rig is [somewhat] more secure...
 
If the winds do not abate in the next few hours...the friction will wear through even that heavy dock line...so I advised him to get some more lines applied to give it more purchase to the bow anchor roller and the anchor windlass...
 
Hopefully his rig will make it through the night...
 
I also closed a neighbors dock box lid - that had blown open...

I fear it is going to be a long night...

 



"#BreakingNews A Blizzard Warning has been issued for Los Angeles & Ventura counties; it will be one of the worst winter storms of the 21st century to hit Southern California, experts say."

 
"High howling winds knocked out power to a lot of Ventura. Trees down, one across 101 south."
 
 
2023-02-22 update:  
 
 
A shredded tarp...note the shredded jib in the background

The steel tang for the forestay gave way...jib = shredded

Another jib...in the process of being shredded

Riggers helping to secure the broken roller furling / forestay


The result of helping secure the forestay / roller furling unit of a dock neighbor




No comments:

Post a Comment