Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Master and Commander

Free Ship Sea photo and picture
[image credit: cocoparisienne on pixabay.com]

 

I do not enjoy living in apartments.
I do not like signing leases - or having landlords.
I do not like the restrictions (of what I may/may not modify - or of what decorations I may hang on the walls - and the prohibitions against modifications to the exterior - or what furniture I can have on a patio, etc.)
 
I do not want to have a 30 year mortgage - stuck in one place - and forced to work at some corporate job I hate - so that I can pay a mortgage that will eventually cost me 3x the price of the property.
 
I do not want to be forced to endure living next to neighbors I may abhor - and having no option but to sell my property and move away. 
 
I love living on the ocean. 
 
I love the simplicity and self-reliance of depending on my own skill to maintain a boat. 
 
I love the freedom of being able to untie the dock lines - and leaving at a moment's notice - whether to sail across an ocean - or move to another slip - or another marina. 
 
I love the fresh wind that greets me every time I leave the cabin. 
 
I love my interactions with fellow boaters in the marina - and even more so - the interactions with fellow voyagers that pass through, from time-to-time. 
 
I love the sound of seagulls, the crash of waves, the marine layer that drifts upon the water - blanketing the sun.
 
I love the ability to observe marine life up close - whether it is harbor seals, dolphins, bat rays, starfish, or squids. And even the occasional whale that wanders into the harbor.
 
I love the gentle rocking motion of my boat tied to a dock, at anchor, or gently dancing over the waves. 
 
I love the sound of rain lightly falling on the deck.
 
I love the glint of the freshly polished stainless steel shining in the sun. 
 
I love the act of cleaning the deck of my boat.
 
I love the maintenance tasks - that keep my vessel seaworthy - and give me confidence to cross oceans.
 
I love the small actions - that add up over time - that maintain my vessel. 
 
I love the feeling of arriving in a new port, harbor, bay, anchorage, island.
 
I am the master and commander of my ship.
Upon the open sea - my law is absolute onboard. 
 
I am responsible for the navigation - and safety of my ship & crew. 
 
She is a modest ship - small in size - not fancy - not modern.
But, she is MY ship - owned outright - seaworthy - and well-found.
 
There is work yet to be done to prepare her for another voyage.
But when that work is complete - I will sail her far & wide.
Confident in her ability to take care of herself - and her crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment